Thursday, September 29, 2011

Happy New Year 1940

L'shana tova, may you & your family be inscribed and sealed in the Book of Life in this the Jewish new year, 5772.
As we gather to celebrate Rosh Hashana tonight, I want to wish all of my readers a sweet and happy new year. May G-d watch over and protect the Jewish homeland in these dark and dangerous days. My friend Roy sent me these inspiring words for the new year, hoping for "a new beginning that calls on Jews everywhere to rekindle our solidarity with Israel and all fellow Jews to be true to Isaiah's admonition, read this week in synagogues throughout the world: 'For Zion's sake, I will not hold my peace; and for Jerusalem's sake, I will not rest.'"

Jewish_new_year Jewish_new_year 

1 comment:

  1. Above: Jewish New Year’s Card sent from the Lodz Ghetto in 1940. Everyone happy, laughing, jumping, frolicking....... 5 years later, practically everyone in that ghetto was dead.

    The message on the card reads: “May you be inscribed for a good year."

    On September 8, 1939, the Germans occupied Lodz and renamed the city Litzmannstadt (after the German general Karl Litzmann, who had conquered it in World War I); most of the German documents concerning the Lodz Ghetto refer to it as the "Litzmannstadt Ghetto." Brutal persecution of the Jews began as soon as the city was occupied. Lodz was home to 223,000 Jews on the eve of World War II. At the war’s end, no more than 7,000 Jews from the Lodz Ghetto had survived the camps. Photo: Yad Vashem

    ReplyDelete