Saturday, July 16, 2011

One Moroccan's Story of Medical Abuse has Wide Implications

Five months ago I was not supportive of the February 20 Movement, despite my presence that day (February 20, 2011) in the central square of Casablanca as a viewer, concerned with national issues and change, and as someone interested in the scientific observation of events and people.
At the time, I was challenged by two people: first, my wife, with whom I discussed the issue at great length. I insisted that Morocco was an exception, because it is conducting genuine reforms that would kill any attempt to mimic Tunisia or Egypt. My wife protested considering that tyranny and corruption within power circles continued to exist and that in fact it was even worse than ever. She insisted she wanted to attend the February 20 protest but I refused because of her poor health. The second to challenge my views was my friend, the Saudi journalist Nawaf Qudaymi. We both agreed to go together to a march in Rabat, but I failed to wake up early that day. Nawaf called me: “How can you wake up late on a day like this Younes?” he complained.
[…]
Regardless, I stood firm on my position, and did not attend any protest since then.
 Global Voices
Mr. Younes delayed in protesting against the human rights abuses that ultimately murdered his wife. His eloquent account of her unnecessary suffering should touch people everywhere for it is universal.
Without human rights the spirit is born dead and the body follows quickly. The tragedy of such abuse is the inability of victims to overcome it.
First cousin marriage produces birth defects and a host of mental and physical infirmities. The culture reflects these aberrations in such activities as honor killings and the public stoning of innocents.
Revolutions may topple the tyrants, but it may take generations to undo the damage of centuries.

No comments:

Post a Comment